Last week, and this week, in our church blogs, we are focusing of Brian Kluth’s article entitled, “10 reasons to give 10% or more”. Below are his words,
‘As materialism and consumerism have infiltrated our lives in recent decades, many people have drifted from any biblical moorings concerning their Christian giving. Here are 10 biblically based and practical reasons to make giving 10% or more to God’s work the highest financial priority in your life (this week’s blog will feature reasons 6 to 10, as last week’s blog focused on reasons 1 to 5).
6. It will encourage your spiritual growth and trust in God. There will be times when you will decide you have no idea how you will make it through the coming day, week, or month. But by giving ahead and giving to God, your trust in the Lord will grow, and you will grow in your ability to see him provide. Read Deuteronomy 14:23, Proverbs 3:5-6, Malachi 3:8-10, Haggai 1:4-11, Haggai 2:15-19, 2 Corinthians 8:5.
7. It will ensure you of treasure in heaven. Jesus encourages you to store up treasure in heaven. The only way to do this is to live generously now. Someone once said, “We can’t take it with us, but we can send it on ahead.” Read 1 Timothy 6:18-19, Matthew 6:19-21, Hebrews 6:10, 3 John 8, 1 Samuel 30:22.
8. It will strengthen the work and outreach of your local church. Many churches struggle due to lack of finances. However, when people in a congregation gain a vision of being faithful givers to God at their local church, the whole spirit of a church begins to change – needs are met, people are cared for, more outreach begins to take place, and long-awaited improvements start to happen. God-given momentum builds as people honour the Lord through their giving at church. Read Acts 2:42-27, Acts 4:32, 2 Corinthians 9:12,13.
9. It will help provide the means to keep your pastor(s) and missionaries in full-time Christian service. It has always been God’s plan that his servants are taken care of by his people. Many pastors and missionaries are struggling financially or are even leaving the ministry because of a lack of adequate finances. Your faithful giving can make sure this doesn’t happen among the pastors or missionaries you know. Read 1 Corinthians 9:9-11,14, 1 Timothy 5:17-18, 3 John 5-8, Philippians 4:15-19, Galatians 6:6, Luke 8:3, 2 Kings 4:8-10.
10. It will help accomplish needed building projects and renovations. Some of the most exciting times in the life of a church or ministry occur when facilities are being improved or expanded to help reach more people for Christ. But for building projects to succeed, large and extraordinary gifts are needed. Building projects only happen well with special gifts that are “above and beyond” what people normally give. This usually happens when people make sacrificial gifts or pledges (by going without something so they can give more) or because they give generously from “whatever they have” (including possessions, property, or wealth). Read 2 Chronicles 24:4-14, Exodus 35,36, 2 Kings 12:2-16, Ezra 1:4-6, 1 Chronicles 29:2-19.’